Monday, February 13, 2012

Hike 7 (Continued): Trade River Segment (or One Big Rock) Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Heading south on 150th
Following my completion of the Gandy Dancer State Trail Segment (see last post, Hikes 4-7), I headed down 150th Street to the entrance to the Trade River CC Ski Trail. 
Trade River Segment
















Some of the scenery on 150th St
Near the entrance of the Trade River Ski Trail
I'm glad they groomed it for me
Fortunately for me, it had been recently mowed which made traversing it relatively easy. What's more, after four successive hikes on the Gandy Dancer, the change in scenery was a welcome sight. Some of the IAT in this segment runs on private land easement and at least on the afternoon that I hiked this section there were parts of the trail that were barely kept up. (Note to prospective hiker: It's always a good thing to go to the Ice Age Trail Alliance [or IATA] website and check on trail conditions of the section you are interested in hiking BEFORE you hike. Trust me. I know. Here's the link to the IATA website ) It was only early June and the grass, in some places, was already up to my waist.


















Somebody's tree stand
My brother-in-law says this reminds him of Andrew Wyeth painting without the girl


Too bad they weren't around
I stopped for a break in the shade of a tree on the grounds of the Seventh Day Adventist Church on 140th Street and I can still recall thinking, “I should have brought more water.” Too bad it wasn't Saturday. There would have been some Adventists around so that I could have got a refill on my water bottle.




The field of blood (as in mine)
There is a large field that the IAT crosses before it enters the woods that is officially part of Straight Lake State Park. On that day it was a tick's paradise as I pulled several off of me that afternoon during my hike as well as a few more when I got home that night. 






The Trade River
There is a wooden footbridge that crosses the Trade River. As rivers go, it's a pretty quite one. It fact, it looks more like a stream to me – but then again it was a warm day in June when I crossed it. The Trade is a tributary of the St. Croix River that runs for nearly 50 miles. Apparently at times it has also been known by the names Atanwa or Ottoway River both of which are Anglicized versions of an Ojibwe word for “trade” (Got that little tidbit from this Wikipedia article .)










The footbridge over the Trade











Trade River
The large erratic
A little way past the footbridge I came upon the large erratic that stands along the IAT on the Lundberg property. According to the IAT Companion Guide (2004 edition), 








this large monstrosity got moved here by the Superior lobe...well, a long time ago. I noted in my journal that night that “The erratic is something to behold but it was so buggy in the woods I kept on going.” I did. I can't remember if I had forgotten to apply some bug spray or it wasn't strong enough to hold off the all out blitz they sent at me in the woods. The Guide says the IAT also passes an ancient beaver dam but if it does I missed it entirely. The last section of this segment passes through another easement on farmland. By the time I got to my bike it was mid-afternoon, I was thirsty and now I had 3-4 mile bike ride back to my van. Note to self: always bring more water than you think you will need.

No comments:

Post a Comment